Often we have the best intentions to make our lifestyles healthier but sometimes other things get in the way. What many people need is a bit of motivation, encouragement and some practical ideas to help them achieve a healthier lifestyle. A health trainer can be the answer.
Health trainers are local people who are trained to help you make positive changes that can make a real difference to your health. They can support you to make the lifestyle changes you want, such as losing weight, eating more healthily, getting more active or stopping smoking.
They understand how difficult it can be to make healthy choices and provide motivation, practical and personal support to help you to achieve your goals.
Who can use the health trainer service?
The health trainer service is available for adults aged 18 and over and live in East Sussex.
What do health trainers do?
- Have lived or worked in the local communities and understand the issues people face in those communities in trying to change to a healthy lifestyle.
- Will have time to listen to their clients.
- Can offer individuals support and encouragement.
- Can help individuals achieve big differences through small achievable and realistic steps.
- Provide basic information on healthy eating, increasing physical activity, giving up smoking, improving mental wellbeing, sexual health and responsible levels of drinking.
- Signpost to the appropriate services.
- Support the client over a period of time monitoring and reviewing their achievements and progress.
- Link to other services involving the wider dimensions of health e.g. housing, Citizens Advice, PALS etc.
How can I access the health trainer service?
The health trainer service is free of charge.
If you live in the Hastings and Rother area, you can either fill in a referral form (please return it to the address on the form and we will contact you) or call us on Freephone: 0800 917 8896 (option 4) or Tel: (01424) 457133.
If you live in the East Sussex Downs and Weald area, you can either fill
in a referral form (please return it to the address on the form and we
will contact you) or call us on Freephone 0800 917 8896 (option 3) or