Links to further reading and useful websites and resources.
People-friendly information and resources about Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder to anyone who needs assistance – parents, sufferers, teachers or health professionals Information, facebook page and online support groups included.
The mental health charity for young people has a section of their website devoted to ADHD with fact sheets and advice.
Their website has lots of resources and fact sheets for parents and children about ADHD and related issues.
London based charity who have worked in conjunction with the NHS to produce a wide range of resources and information about ADHD and support for families including those living outside London.
- ADHD is Real! 10 myths about ADHD debunked
- Information About Mental Health Medication | YoungMinds Find information about ADHD medications and other mental health medications here.
- Book: Understanding A. D. H. D. A Parent’s Guide to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in Children by Dr Christopher Green and Dr Kit Chee
- Book: Taking Charge of ADHD: The Complete, Authoritative Guide for Parents by Russell A. Barkley
Child Friendly Information about ADHD
- https://youtu.be/YeamHE6Kank – a child friendly video to explain what ADHD is.
The ADHD Foundation have produced comprehensive guide on ADHD for children.
- Book: The Survival Guide for kids with ADHD by John F. Taylor
- Book: All Dogs Have ADHD By Kathy Hoopman
It’s good to know you you’re not alone! Check out these celebrities who also have the ADHD diagnosis.
How to help Children with ADHD
Caring for a child with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) can be draining. This web page includes information about what to expect and strategies to cope.
- Book: Step by Step Help for Children with ADHD: A Self-Help Manual for Parents by David Daley and Edmund J. S. Sonuga-Barke, Cathy Laver-Bradbury, Margaret Thompson, Anne Weeks
- Book: Helping Children with ADHD: A CBT Guide for Practitioners, Parents and Teachers by Susan Young and Jade Smith
- Book: How to Talk so Kids Will Listen and Listen so Kids Will Talk by Adele Faber, Elaine Mazlich and Kimberly Ann Coe
- Book: 1-2-3 magic effective discipline for children 2-12 by Thomas Phelan
ADHD and Autism
Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (CHADD) have a page on their website devoted to ADHD and Autism.
- Book: Autism, Aspergers & ADHD by Simon Bignell
- Book: The Explosive Child: A New Approach for Understanding and Parenting Easily Frustrated, Chronically Inflexible Children by Ross W. Greene
Other Support and Advice
Information, advice and support for families with disabled children and young people in Sussex
Set up by a group of parents with children with special needs, to provide friendship and support to other families.
- Making Sense of it All
- Reaching Families’ handy parent/carer guide contains information and advice on benefits, support for your child at school, getting help from social services and accessing social & leisure activities
Disability living allowance (DLA) – your child may qualify for DLA, a state benefit that will help with their care.