At ESHT, we’re committed to supporting your wellbeing. Part of this includes ensuring you take proper breaks and looking after yourself. Remember:
- Even short breaks can help to refresh your mind and improve concentration levels and productivity.
- Ensure you take your breaks, having your break away from the immediate work environment allows mind and body to relax and refresh
- Avoid dehydration by accessing fluids regularly and during breaks, as dehydration can affect work performance
- Prioritise important tasks and ask for help from colleagues when needed
We know, when your team is busy and overwhelmed, it can be really challenging to take your break. But it is so important that you are able to recharge. Taking a break gives you a chance to take a breather, replenish your energy levels by eating or having a drink, physically resting or taking a mental break. They are good for you.
Hydration is key to keeping your body on top form. The current guidance is that you should drink six to eight glasses of water or other fluids a day to prevent dehydration.
Signs and effects of dehydration may include:
- feeling dizzy/light headed
- dry, sticky mouth
- passing small amounts of dark, concentrated urine
- low blood pressure/hypotension
- rapid pulse/tachycardia
Here are some ways you can make sure everyone in your team stays hydrated:
- Set up a break rota, so everyone gets a set time to take a break
- Do team coffee/tea/water rounds, so everyone gets a drink
- Take your reusable mug to the Staff Restaurant, to recieve 10p off and get a point on your loyalty card
- And remember, the cafes on the acute site also offer loyalty cards, so you can get a free drink!
- Hydration challenge! – take part in British Heart Foundations Hydration Challenge as a team