What is ear wax?
• It is a normal secretion of the ceruminous glands in the outer ear
• It is also known as ‘cerumen’
• It provides protection for your ears
• It is designed to stop dust, dirt or foreign bodies entering the ear canal and causing problems
• Wax is slightly acidic, which provides a natural protection from infection
• A build-up of wax is more likely to occur in older adults, hearing aid users or people who insert instruments into their ears
• Wax production can be increased by anxiety, stress, diet or hereditary factors