Upper gastrointestinal cancers include oesophageal cancer, stomach cancer, small bowel cancer, pancreatic cancer, liver cancer and cancers of the biliary system.
Accurate investigation and staging is central to the appropriate management of patients with upper gastrointestinal cancers.
What symptoms might need an urgent Upper GI referral?
- Problems swallowing food/liquids or medication (dysphagia)
- Increased or new persistent reflux/dyspepsia (indigestion/heartburn)
- Decline in appetite
- Unintentional weight loss
- Vomiting of blood (haematemesis)
- Passing black stool (malaena)
- Nausea or vomiting
- Feel full quickly (early satiety)
- Abdominal/epigastric pain
- Yellow colour to skin or white of eye (jaundice)
- Change of colour of urine (becoming dark)
- Change in colour of stool (becoming pale/chalky)
- Abdominal pain/bloating