The Special Care Dental Service (SCDS) provides treatment to adults and children who require special care dentistry relating to:
- Learning disability
- Autistic spectrum disorders
- Severe physical disability
- Severe and enduring mental illness, eg schizophrenia
- Complex medical history/disabilities
- Patients requiring domiciliary care who fulfil any of the above criteria
- Children on Child Protection Plans
- Travellers’ children and children from homeless families
- Looked after children
- Children who require extractions under general anaesthesia due to very young age or children that require multiple extractions
- Adults and children with a disability who require treatment under general anaesthesia.
NHS dental charges will apply to all patients unless they meet the NHS dental exemption criteria and can supply evidence of this exemption.