Our Emergency Departments are also often referred to as Accident & Emergency (A&E).
They are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week for anyone seeking treatment for an urgent problem caused by an accident or illness. You should be aware that our Emergency Departments can be very busy. In an average year we see around 90,000 patients in these units.
Appropriate conditions to use an Emergency department
- Chest pains and heart attacks
- Major trauma such as road traffic accidents
- Breathing problems such as shortness of breath and chronic diseases such as asthma and emphysema
- Unconsciousness / reduced consciousness
- Abdominal pain or injuries
- All electrical burns
People who use emergency services for minor problems may prevent others with emergencies from getting immediate care. If you attend an Emergency Department and your condition is not an emergency, you may be advised to contact your own family doctor or GP.