Complaints and concerns

If you, a family member or carer have a concern about care and treatment provided by our Trust, or about any of our services, please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) in the first instance. They can provide prompt help, advice and support, and will do their best to help you resolve the problem.

As the PALS team act independently when handling queries or concerns raised with them, they can effectively liaise with Trust staff, including senior managers, on your behalf. This can be helpful if you would prefer not to talk directly to someone involved in your care.

However, if the cause of your concern is complex or requires a more detailed investigation, or you wish to formally complain about the care and treatment you, or a family member has received from our Trust, or about any of our services, then our dedicated Complaints Team can help you.

You can submit your complaint in writing or by email, or it can be made on your behalf by someone else – however, please remember we will need your written consent before we can make disclosures of confidential information relating to care and treatment; this is to protect your right to confidentiality.

The Chief Executive
East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust
St. Anne’s House
729 The Ridge
St. Leonards-on-Sea
East Sussex, TN37 7PT

Please ensure you give as many details as possible

In order to help us deal with your complaint, please ensure you include:

  • Your full name
  • Your address
  • Your date of birth
  • Your hospital number (which begins with X) if you have it to hand
  • A telephone number we can reach you on
  • The concerns you would like the Trust to investigate and respond to; and
  • What outcome you hope to receive from raising a complaint.
  • If you are not the patient, please ensure you let us have their name and any relevant information about how we can contact them to seek their consent
  • Wherever possible, please also try to include information such as dates, places and names in relation to your concern or complaint.